Calais Crisis Continues

In a desperate attempt to reach the UK migrants have turned to extreme violence resulting in many lorry drivers being worried for their safety when on the roads in France.

Lorry drivers are being faced with the potential risk of being attacked with weapons and, in a more recent case, lorries being set on fire as migrants riot over the conditions and struggle to reach the UK.

This week the UK reached an agreement with the French government to build a “wall” to prevent migrants climbing onto lorries in Calais.

A four metre high wall which will be erected either side of the main road for 1km, is already under construction costing the UK authorities over £2million.

However, charities have expressed their concern that the wall will not prevent migrants but will consequently be a danger to them.  Yolaine Bernard, Vice President of the Salam Aid Organisation has told papers, “It’s not going to change a thing.  These people will still try and scale the wall and it will just result in more of them being injured.”

Lorry drivers themselves have said the new concrete wall will do little with Richard Burnett, Chief Executive of the Road Haulage Association stating that the wall is a waste of money and it will simply ‘shift the problem further down the road’.

The situation for both lorry drivers and migrants is dreadful and more needs to be done to prevent this Calais crisis from continuing.

What is your opinion on the ‘Great Wall of Calais’?

Tweet us at https://twitter.com/lorrylawyer to get involved.

Operation Stack lorry park consultations begin…

A six-week consultation to cover the design of the new M20 Stanford West lorry park started last Friday, 12th August.

The £250m park is being built as a solution to the chaos many drivers were faced with last summer on the M20 due to the disruption to cross-channel services.

The lorry park at Stanford West was the chosen site following a consultation between December 2015 – January 2016 despite many residents’ complaints of the sites impact to the surrounding area.

Highways England has attempted to reassure residents and businesses that it will do its best to minimise any impact to the area that the site may cause.

Project Director, Adrian Sheppard has said, “Following our consultation earlier this year we have been working hard to refine our plans and are now keen to hear what people think about these.  I encourage anyone who would like to understand more or ask questions to visit us at one of the public exhibitions we are holding.”

It is hoped that the Operation Stack lorry park will minimise the impact on the M20 and the regions roads by offering parking for up to 3,600 lorries during disruption.

What are your views on the Stanford West lorry park?

It is important that hauliers affected by Operation Stack use this opportunity to have their say, either directly or via their trade associations.

Details of the consultation will be available from 6am on Friday 12th August 2016 on the government’s consultation page or by searching “Management of Freight Through Kent” on the www.gov.uk website.

Tweet us at https://twitter.com/lorrylawyer to get involved.